No-knead Wholemeal Raisin Bread
Great with some butter and jam / kaya
Quick and easy no-knead wholemeal raisin bread
Recipe by Baby Sumo, adapted from here
Preparation time: 10 minutes (+approx. 1 hour rising time)
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Makes 1 large loaf
225g wholemeal flour
225g plain flour
330-350ml warm water
2 tsp dried active yeast
1 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp salt
A little extra plain flour
1. Grease a 900-g bread tin (with base measurement approx. 16x9cm) with butter.
2. Mix flour and salt and place in a big ovenproof bowl (or two smaller ones) and place in a low oven (around 100°C) for about 10 minutes to warm.
3. While the flour is warming, mix 100ml water with sugar, then sprinkle over the dried yeast. Stir once, and leave for 10-15 minutes until a frothy head has formed.
4. Tip the warm flour and raisins into a large mixing bowl, then add the raisins and stir well. Make a well in the centre. Stir the yeast liquid once, to make sure it is dissolved, then pour it into the well. Using a wooden spoon, mix the yeast liquid into the flour to form a dough, gradually adding the rest of the water. Finish off the mixing with your hands until you have a smooth dough that leaves the bowl clean. Note: The exact amount of water you need depends on the flour.
5. Shape the dough into an oblong shape and transfer into the greased tin. Sprinkle the top with a generous dusting of flour and then cover the tin with a damp towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for at least 30-40 mins to 1 hour until the dough has almost doubled in size.
6. Preheat oven to 200°C (no fan). Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes. Turn out the bread, and tap the bottom - it should sound hollow if cooked. Cool the bread on a wire rack. Serve bread with butter and jam.
If you enjoyed reading my posts, LIKE me on Facebook! You can also follow me on Instagram (@babysumo) for more photo updates or Dayre for daily updates.. Thanks :)